Watch Nicky and Jose cook this main course in episode 10 of MKR on 7plus.
Preparation time: 30 mins Cooking time: 1h10 Serves: 4-6
Watch My Kitchen Rules on Channel 7 and stream it for free on 7plus >>
- Chopped parsley, to garnish
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- shrimp heads and shells (as below)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 fennel, chopped
- 2 fish heads
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 liter of water
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 10 chicken wings
- 500g calamari rings
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 200g crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Pinch the saffron threads
- 200g bomba or calaspra rice
- 50g fresh or frozen peas
- 500ml fish stock
- 12 green shrimp (6 peeled, heads and shells reserved)
- 2 blue swimmer crabs, cleaned, quartered
- 8 mussels, cleaned
- 300 g purged clams
- To make the broth, heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the prawn heads and shells. Cook, crushing with a rolling pin or potato masher occasionally and stirring, until the shells and tops turn pink.
- Add the vegetables. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add fish heads, bay leaves and water. Bring to a boil. Simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes. Strain and discard solids. Simmer until reduced to 500 ml.
- Meanwhile, to prepare the paella, place the peppers, cut side down, on a baking sheet and grill until the skin is charred and blistered. Place in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Rest for 10 minutes. Peel and discard the skin. Roughly chop the flesh.
- Heat half the oil in a large frying pan or paella pan over medium heat. Season the chicken wings and cook until golden brown. Remove and reserve.
- Season the calamari rings and add them to the same pan. Cook for 2 minutes. Remove and reserve.
- Add the rest of the oil to the same skillet. Add garlic and cook until tender. Add the tomatoes, paprika, thyme and saffron. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in the bell pepper.
- Sprinkle the rice evenly in the pan. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in peas. Season. Pour over the broth.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, without stirring, for about 15 minutes or until rice is almost tender.
- Add the shelled and unshelled shrimp, crab, mussels, clams and chicken, pressing them lightly into the rice. Cook, covered, for about 5 minutes or until seafood is just cooked through and mussels and clams are open. Sprinkle with calamari. Remove from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Garnish the paella with parsley. Serve with lemon wedges.