Barbeque is serious business in the south with several restaurants in central Georgia serving this foodie favorite in a variety of ways.
But only six have won honors in The Telegraph’s Best of Best 2021 contest in which customers can vote for their favorite businesses, including the best barbecue spot.
The Best of the Best winners are the top scorers in each category based on votes cast online on The Telegraph’s website.
Here are the winners of the Mâcon-Bibb sector in the best barbecue category:
- Fresh air Bar-B-Que – Famous for its tomato and vinegar style old-fashioned barbecue grill over a pit, Fresh Air Bar-B-Que at 3076 Riverside Drive took # 1 as Best BBQ. Opening its first location in Jackson, Fresh Air Bar-B-Que has been in continuous operation since 1929. It is also known for its Brunswick Stew, according to its website.
- Fincher barbecue – To serve “appetizing” barbecue dishes and other southern home-cooked meals since 1935, the 5627 Houston Road location won second place. Fincher’s barbecue was even served on NASA’s STS-33 space mission on November 22, 1989, according to the restaurant’s website. In 2019, the restaurant made the Food Network List of the best barbecue restaurants to try from coast to coast. Fincher’s has several branches in central Georgia.
- Georgia Bob’s barbecue – Known for its Georgian-style vinegar-based barbecue and house chicken salad, the Macon location at 4921 Riverside Drive earned an honorable mention. The restaurant has multiple locations throughout Central Georgia, with its roots in a family-run recipe that goes back to the fishing festivals from the 1920s, according to its website.
Warner Robins Zone Winners
Here are the top picks in the Warner Robins area in the Best BBQ category:
- Georgia Bob’s barbecue —The best barbecue spot in the Warner Robins area went to Georgia Bob’s location at 120 Howland Ave. This is the restaurant’s second Warner Robins location, which first opened in a convenience store / gas station in 2001 at 1882 Russell Parkway, according to the Telegraph Archives. The Russell Parkway site is still in use today.
- Buc-ee’s – Open for less than a year, the Warner Robins store at this Texas-based chain of mega travel centers is known for its plethora of dining options – including Texan barbecue, homemade fudge, and its Beaver Nuggets brand. The new Buc-ee’s at 7001 Russell Parkway finished second in the best barbecue category. The sprawling 53,000 square foot center with 116 gas stations is located just off Interstate 75. Take the Russell Parkway exit.
- White Diamond Grill – Created in 1942, this longtime local favorite known for its pit barbecue, which was a finalist in this year’s competition. Other favorite menu options include Brunswick Stew and Fried Catfish. The restaurant is located in a simple white building on the corner of Ga. 247 and Ga. 96 in the Bonaire community of Houston County, just south of Robins Air Force Base.
This story was originally published August 25, 2021 6:00 a.m.