Photo by Farideh Sadeghin
Servings: 4 to 6
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Total duration: 1 day
for the peanut sauce:
3 ounces | 85 grams Tamarind pulp
¼ cup | 60 ml canola oil
4 garlic cloves, mixed
1 large red onion, mixed
1 rod Lemongrass, bulb only, smashed
1 piece (2 inch) Galangal, peeled and crushed
1 cup | 225 grams sambal
2 cups | 300 grams of coarsely chopped peanuts
4 ounces | 113 grams Indonesian palm sugar, coarsely chopped
granulated sugar, to taste
kosher salt, to taste
for the chicken satay:
2 tablespoons of granulated sugar
1 ½ tablespoons powdered onion
1 tablespoon of molasses
2 teaspoons of garlic powder
2 teaspoons of ground turmeric
½ teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon galangal powder
½ teaspoon lemongrass powder
3 books | 1430 grams of boneless chicken thighs, cut into strips
kosher salt, to taste
vegetable oil, for grilling
- Prepare the peanut sauce: bring 1 cup | 250 ml of water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add the tamarind and let it soak for 20 minutes, then, using your hands, spread it apart and remove the seeds and fibers to extract a smooth, thick paste. Set aside until ready to use.
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, onions, lemongrass and galangal and cook until golden, about 15 minutes. Stir in the sambal and cook, stirring occasionally, until the oil separates, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the peanuts, tamarind and palm sugar, plus 2 cups | 500 ml water. Bring to a boil over medium-low heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 45 minutes. Makes 4 cups.
- Marinate the chicken: In a large bowl, combine the sugar, onion powder, molasses, garlic powder, turmeric, galangal powder, ginger and lemongrass powder with 2 tablespoons of ‘water. Add the chicken and toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Cook the satay: Fire up a grill. Thread the chicken onto bamboo skewers and brush the chicken with oil. Season with salt and cook the satay, turning once, until charred on each side, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a dish and serve with the satay sauce.
Get recipes like this and more in the Munchies Recipes newsletter. Register here.