It’s pot roast season. Who is with us?
Roast and Gravy has been one of Nicole Johnson’s favorite comfort food recipes from OrWhateverYouDo.com for as long as she can remember.
“Nothing beats homemade gravy, so stack that mashed potato and scoop it up,” Johnson says. She notes that she makes this recipe on an outdoor pellet grill (pellet smoker), but that it can easily be made in the oven using the same instructions.
“My favorite thing about this dish is that it’s almost hands-free, but tastes like you spend all day on the stove,” adds Johnson.
THIS MISSISSIPPI SMOKED POT RTI IS PERFECT FOR A FRESH EVENING
Homemade Pot Roast with Sauce by Nicole Johnson, OrWhateverYouDo.com
Makes 8 servings
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 3 hours
BEER CAN SAUSAGE WRAPPED BURGER: TRY THE RECIPE
For the braised roast:
- 2 tablespoons of canola or avocado oil
- Salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic salt, seasoning salt, (generous amounts)
- 3 to 4 pound beef chuck roast
- 2 large onions
- 3-4 large carrots, peeled (optional)
- 4 cups of beef broth
- 1 cup of red wine
CHORIZO AND CHEESE DIP TO MAKE FOR YOUR NEXT GAME DAY SPREAD
For the cornstarch porridge for the sauce:
- 3 tablespoons of cornstarch
- cup of cold water
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
- Place the oil in the bottom of your cast iron pan, if using it, and set the burner to medium-high heat. Preheat your grill to 275 ° F.
- Season the piece of beef well with salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic salt and seasoned salt.
- Place the roast in the cast iron skillet and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the bottom is golden brown.
- Gently flip the roast onto the other side and brown that side well for another 4 to 5 minutes.
- Place the roast in the pan in which it will cook. Place the minced onion, carrots, beef broth and red wine in the pan with the roast.
- Bake at 275 ° F for 2-3 hours, then increase the heat to 325 ° F until your roast reaches an internal temperature of 200 ° F (use a cooking thermometer) and is fork-tender. How long this will take depends on the size of your roast, grill, and what phase the moon is in. Note: Cook at temperature, NOT by the hour.
- When the roast is finished, remove it from the grill. Carefully remove the roast and vegetables from the pan and set them aside, well covered.
- Filter or remove most of the fat from the drip (a grease tool works so well for this), then bring the rest of the drip to a boil. You need 3 cups of liquid, so if you need to add more beef broth, be prepared to do so.
- Combine cornstarch and cold water. Stir into sauce mixture and reduce heat to low, stirring until thickened.
- Serve with your favorite roasted or mashed potatoes, crusty bread and corn.
FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK FOR MORE NEWS ON THE FOX LIFESTYLE
This original recipe belongs to OrWhateverYouDo.com and was shared with Fox News.